I thought it was time to update my journal before I forgot all of the fun things we've been doing lately.
We celebrated Thanksgiving at the park with my extended family (mom's side). The weather was perfect for a little outdoor fun. Sydney loved playing with her cousins on the playground and feeding the ducks. Addison was a little overwhelmed by the large gathering of people but handled it pretty well. After lunch, we were entertained by my cousins, Rocky Rhoads. They dabble in singing Gospel/bluegrass, and have been entertaining folks around the county with their talents.
On Black Friday, we set up our tree/Christmas decorations and got in a little shopping as well. My mom came down to help/shop-it was great having an extra pair of hands to get the job done quicker. As usual, Sydney and Addison tried to lend a hand too. Because I tried to decorate and shop on the same day, the decorating went well into the night. Tim and I traditionally watch Christmas movies or listen to Christmas songs as we decorate; so, this year, we decided to let Sydney stay up and help with the tree and watch the movie too. Tim and I were surprised to find that Sydney turns into quite the comic after bedtime. She had the best one-liners and reminded us of our behaviors with all of the things we teach her during the day. At one point, she had a photo album out with pictures from past Christmases checking to see if we were decorating the tree the right way or the same as the year before. It is sometimes scary how much she sounds like me. That is exactly what I would have done, but she thought of it first. Around 11, we decided that she should probably go to bed.
With the tree decorated and other decorations in their place, we headed to the circus with Grammy and Papaw. I hadn't been in years and was really excited for the opportunity to take the girls. The show was great. Before the show, Tim and Sydney rode an elephant-very cool. Sydney's only comment was on what the elephant smelled like-yuck!
Well, that brings us to today. Our little town held O'Tannenbaum days this weekend. In other words, an opportunity to visit the little shops on the square, enjoy some treats, go for carriage rides, talk to Santa, and ride the train. Today,we did everything except go for a carriage ride-a little too cold. As the story goes, Sydney was once again too scared to sit on Santa's lap. I just don't get it-she had talked a big game this week about sitting on Santa's lap and telling him her wish list, but when it actually came time, she chickened out. Silly girl. The train ride was the coolest. The city is working on remodeling old train cars and offering rides from one town to another. Only a couple of the train cars were available for rides so far. I was really impressed with the car we rode in-check the pictures.
This evening, the girls completed an activity from our Christmas countdown. I hid their ornaments in the living room and they were to find them. Addison was very excited to find her ornament first, a snugly bear dressed as a reindeer that plays Rudolph, the red-nose reindeer. I thought it best represented her personality this year. Sydney had to have a few hints but she finally found it, a bear coloring a picture-because Sydney LOVES to color and does it often in her "office" ( a corner in our living room dedicated to her lap desk, couch, coloring books, and other supplies.)
I think that's everything. Time for bed!!
No comments:
Post a Comment